Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day Three, Four, Five and Six

Day 3
I at last have some time to update the Wiki. Day three in Taipei was done visiting some of Taiwan's biggest companies. I have personally very impressed with Taiwan Semi-conductor Manufacturing Company, the world's largest foundry. Darren's comment after visiting TSMC was classic - he walks out the presentation and only thing he tell me is - "The US is screwed, we all need to move here". We also visited AU Optronics and MediaTek, both which are dominant players in their markets. After the company visits all of us headed to Carnegie's - the most US pub/bar in the entire Taiwan. The music was good and it was extremely crowded for Wed night, mainly with foreigners. I was not there till late - but I heard that it got really crazy later that night, including some bar top dancing. The highlights of Day 3 were Patrick McGowen practicing his Chinese skills, and mistakenly telling Alex (our chaperone from Cathay Life) - "Where can I find a women's orgasm" and me telling everyone in the bus, my popular "rubber" story - a classic if you never heard it.

Day 4

Day 4 involved a long bus drive to the airport and short nice flight on what is quickly becoming everyones favorite airline Cathay Pacific. The fun part of the day began when I was trying to clear immigration. According the HK custom, I was randomly selected for further questioning, although when I went to the room - there were 40 others Indian also randomly selected!!!. Anyways, the entire process took 2 hours and was the worst process I had ever seen. They all need to take Prof Sreekumar and his process improvement class. While the rest of the group left with the bus while I was being further questioned, Prof Mickey stayed back, for which I very grateful to him. Prof Mickey and I took the train and then the local metro to our hotel which is situated in the heart of HK in Causeway Bay. Interestly we only reached 30 mins after the bus arrived - traffic in HK is bad. That night we all headed for the market in Kwaloon, where I helped Darren bargain for some pearls. If you want to hear about my bargaining skills and exploits please contact Darren or Lauren.

Day 5

We visited in my opinion the best presentation by Dr. Fung of Li & Fung. Which was followed up by an insane lunch & presentation hosted by 7-11. The lunch was over the top crazy - every kind of food and desert that you can think of. We had a few hours free in the middle. Lauren, Darren and I went back to the pearl shop where I once again helped bargain a good deal for Lauren and Darren. We returned back to visit JP Morgan. Last night we all decided to celebrate Katie, Camila and Ryan birthday at HK premier party district called Lan Kwai Fong. This place is absolutely crazy, similar to Bourbon street. All the people went to a MEXICAN!!!!!! place in HK to eat, while I met up with my cousin and ate at a local shezwan place - awesome food. After food we all hung around, did some crazy bar hoping and walked on the street, which itself was an experience. I came home at 2:30 a.m. and was one of the first people to leave.

Day 6
This was our first free day so I don't know what everyone did but Lauren, Billy, Pallu, Mark and I went to Victoria Peak. Lauren, Billy and I then went to some shopping districts, including Man Kok which was amazing and crazy. The number of people of that street was amazing and so were the neon lights.

1 comment:

Billy said...

Day Six: Victoria Peak was cool. We made it all the way to the top via the easily accessible tram. The rain picked up as soon as we stepped out on the skyway, so we had to return a little later. In the mean time, Nimesh bargained for Lauren at the art shop.

The market at Mong Kok was insane. I have never seen so many people walking in one area. Nimesh told me that "markets in Mumbai aren't this crowded". The area is lined with many shops full of clothes, purses, and electronics.

At night time, I was fortunate to hang with Nimesh and his cousin (ex-pat). We started the night at Sodas in Lai Kwai Fung. We then moved over to a private "membership only" club called "Mint". The lounge/club was great and the music was bangin. 3am time to get some rest but I could stay up for a few more hours.